The secrets to reading fluently.

The building blocks that enable a child to read fluently start long before they pick up their first book.


Here are the steps you can take that will allow your child to read fluently.

1. Use complex language when talking to your children from an early age. (for example Jade can you please use the  whisk  to sweep the counter) bet you've not heard  that word before..:) 70% of our communication is non-verbal, don't dumb it down, thus increasing their vocabulary.

2. Make sight word flash cards from an early age. CVC words (consonant vowel consonant) FOG DIG CAT HIT

3. Make vocabulary matching games and tailor them to the ability of the child.

4. Give your child some stick on notes and ask them to label everything in the house for you.

5. As parents/ upcoming parents, you should learn all the letter sounds and their  names.

6.  Understand the 44 phonemes and teach them to your children. Ch ck igh ai Th ( the full list can be found below).

7. Read together with your child, allowing them to decode the words using the knowledge you have instilled. fingers can assist with tracking at first and then can be removed.

8. Read for pleasure. Explain the purpose of reading is to increase our knowledge and understanding.

9.Allow your child to have their own bookshelf.

10. Read yourself. Take time out to read as a family. Model how relaxing it can be to be immersed in literature.

Here is the list of the 44 phonemes all children need to know before they can read fluently


What are your thoughts on this? Have you tried out any of this at home? please share with us how it turned out.








47 Comments

  1. I am a living witness to this method It has worked wonders for my almost 5 year old who reads all cvc words fluently and now tackles words like (different,started,spotted,backpack) with little or no help. It is amazing to watch the transformation once children begin to get the sound concept. I have begun introducing same to my 3 year old and he too is quickly catching up to his brother and constantly wants to read the "big" words like his brother. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips, learning should not only be at school. Nice one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips .I believe parents need training too. Learning is a continious process.thank you for this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You welcome. Looking forward to your feedback on which worked best for you :)

      Delete
  4. Great. Everything shouldn't be left for the teachers alone. We,the Parents need to start early in developing our kids and help the school in developing total and well rounded kids fit for within and outside our society in all ramifications. Thanks for the tips dear. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noted, I will practice it when I become a father .thanks ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Do not forget to let me know how it turns out :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the helpful tips, I have tried just a few and it works, my kids can identify and pronounced most 3 letter words,they can also identify the picture of such words and put it together. Keep it coming as I for one need more tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job! Stay tuned for a lot more to come..:)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the helpful tips, I have tried just a few and it works, my kids can identify and pronounced most 3 letter words,they can also identify the picture of such words and put it together. Keep it coming as I for one need more tips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips, yes I started reading to my children early and also using new words.(thanks to Mrs Curry Curry Anakweze��) And mostly get a sharp "Mum what's the meaning of that". And early this year, we started our open heavens devotional schedule, where everyone has a day to read and explain to us what is the devotion is saying. Big challenge!!! Awesome experience��. Thank you Sis for this knowledge info.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow..nice, I love this...I don't have kids yet but I do this with my nephews and nieces and it works every time...Thanks, expecting more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Keep up the good job and stay tuned for more! Thank you

      Delete
  10. Lovely!!
    I have actually tried some tips on my children and its working.
    Please more tips will be appreciated!!
    Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great presentation. I think I should be one of your students.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips. Quite intriguing. Hope to carryout some practice on this soon..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Pleas let me know how it turns out :)

      Delete
  13. Great tips for parents.These tips works like miracle. As a parent if you cannot practise all. Reading to them daily will help alot. Well-done Ify.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tips for parents.These tips works like miracle. As a parent if you cannot practise all. Reading to them daily will help alot. Well-done Ify.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nicely written......this is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is very helpful though I have not tried all the steps discussed here but I will definitely adopt this method in teaching my children. I hereby applaud the writer for job Weldon

    ReplyDelete
  17. As a future parent that wants the best out of my future kids, I will definitely put this into consideration and store in my archives so I don't forget easily. Keep up the good work dear.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It really working for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Would adopt this soon. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice one, will start practicing with my son. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post